Get in touch!

14 Aug 2016

DIY REUSABLE COTTON ROUNDS


Well, these reusable cotton rounds are actually squares. And they’re not even made of cotton either haha! Great way to start off a blogpost! I guess I didn't know what else to call them. Hmm... Well, you know what I mean right? The things you use to apply toner, remove makeup etc., usually of the disposable kind.
If you would like to know how you can make them yourself, keep on reading!


For the past few weeks, I've been looking for ways to make my own cotton rounds. I wanted something that was soft for my skin, easy to wash, cheap, but most importantly: zero waste. I found some bloggers and even one of my Facebook-friends who had made their own cotton rounds by sewing several pieces of fabric together. Sadly, I have no clue how to use a sewing machine so I decided to simplify the whole process. This DIY takes almost no time, money or effort. I don’t even know if I should call it a DIY, it’s that easy!


You'll only need two things:
  • a piece of fabric (preferably something thick and soft; I used old flannel pyjama bottoms that I haven't worn in years, but you can use anything you want. Any old blanket, flannel or soft piece of fabric will do!) 
  • a pair of scissors (If you own pinking shears (scissors with saw-toothed blades), that's even better because it helps prevent the fabric from fraying. I didn’t have any, so I used a regular pair.)

How to make:

Cut your fabric in any shape or size you want. As I mentioned before, I cut mine in squares. That way, I didn't waste any fabric as opposed to cutting them in circles. 
My squares are roughly 6 by 6 centimetres (2.5 by 2.5 inches). I just guessed their sizes to make sure they were almost the same size, but you could measure and draw them all out if you wanted to. I also made some bigger pieces who are 12 by 12 centimetres (4.5 by 4.5 inches). 
If you’re using regular scissors like I am, the edges might fray a bit after you wash them, but you can just cut the threads off if it gets annoying!



That's it! That was literally the only step. You could sew two pieces together if you wanted a thicker piece. 
For me, one layer was thick enough and the fabric is perfectly soft to remove makeup! My mum prefers thicker cotton rounds, so she just folds one of the bigger pieces in half.



To clean my squares I just put them in a mesh washing bag (we use these bags to wash bras and socks in) and throw them in the washer with the other light clothes. You could use any little cotton bag to wash them in.

Oh and if you would like to use them for removing nail polish, I'm afraid the polish will never fully wash out. So maybe keep a few separate pieces just for nail polish and use the rest for everything else.


Now you'll never have to worry about buying new cotton rounds again and you've done the environment a big favour!
I got exactly 75 small pieces and 20 big pieces out of these pyjama pants, isn’t that great?


Good luck with this incredibly hard DIY! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment