Get in touch!

18 Sep 2016

DIY NATURAL DRY SHAMPOO


Dry shampoo. Some people use it and love it, some people don’t. Personally, I’ve always been a big fan! I am definitely the kind of person that can’t be bothered to wash my hair once every other day, let alone every day like some people do!
I’m lucky enough to say that my hair doesn’t tend to get greasy that quickly. And unlike a lot of people think, washing your hair too often is actually the main reason why your hair gets greasy. Want to know why that is?



By washing your hair every day, you’re stripping it of its natural oils. Every single day. Consequently, your hair has to produce more oil to keep it healthy. It’s common sense. Your hair produces oil to keep it healthy. Washing takes away the oil, so the more often you wash, the quicker new oil is produced. Does that make sense?

Just try to keep in mind that you wash your hair to make it ‘clean’ again in the first place, not to take away its necessary, healthy oils. It’s not gross or bad to wash it less often, it’s healthy.

Okay, I wasn’t really planning on talking about washing your hair in this post haha but it’s done now, so let’s get to the actual topic: dry shampoo!


I’ve been using dry shampoo for 2 or 3 years and let me tell you: it’s a lifesaver! When I notice that my hair is kind of getting greasier and I don’t really have the time to wash it, I just spray in some dry shampoo and I’m ready to go! Store-bought dry shampoo does the trick: it absorbs the oil that’s in your hair and adds volume. It’s always a white powder though. And sadly, my hair is not light blonde which means that the dry shampoo can be visible after applying it. 
But more importantly, like tons of commercial products, these dry shampoos contain many nasty ingredients. 
Butane, propane, linalool, alcohol denat, butylphenyl methylpropional are only a few of its ingredients displayed on the bottle. And they don’t particularly sound healthy, do they?


Don’t worry though, there’s a super simple natural dry shampoo that does the exact same thing and has several benefits to its store-bought opponent! I love this DIY version because it’s cheaper, healthier, better for the environment AND you can choose what colour you make it.

The main ingredient is cornstarch, which is a natural oil absorbent. Other than that, you’ll only need one thing (or nothing else), depending on your hair colour:


For blondes:
  • cornstarch

For brunettes:
  • cornstarch
  • (unsweetened) cocoa powder

For redheads:
  • cornstarch
  • cinnamon

I haven’t really found anything for black hair, because it’s quite difficult to find a natural black pigment. Maybe something like natural charcoal? But then again, I’m not sure if it’s a good idea to put that in your hair. I guess cocoa powder should be able to do the trick (mixed with cornstarch, that is!).



How to make:


1) Mix the ingredients together. Depending on what colour and how dark your hair is, you might want to add less cornstarch and more of the other ingredient. I have medium dark brown hair and I used three table spoons of cornstarch and two teaspoons of cocoa powder. (This doesn’t give the dry shampoo my exact hair colour, but it does make the cornstarch less white and ‘reflective’ and it works fine for me!)



2) Put the mixture in a jar. I like using an empty spice shaker because it’s easy to sprinkle the dry shampoo in your hair. 
You could also just put it in a little jar and use your fingers or an old brush to apply, it’s up to you!




Apply a bit of this powder onto your hair and massage it in or brush it out until you can’t see it anymore. It should instantly make your hair oil-free for the day.


I know it might sound a bit weird to put this type of mixture in your hair, but these natural ingredients are sooooo much better than the nasty, chemical things that you’ll normally find in dry shampoo. And trust me, this natural version works like a charm!


Cheers to no more bad hair days!

2 comments:

  1. This is such a cool idea! I love making scrubs from things I have in the kitchen, will have to give this a go x

    https://sandrafsilva.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh it's been a while since I made a scrub, definitely making a new one soon!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete