11 Dec 2016

WHAT I ATE THIS WEEK [DINNER]


Hi there! YESSS I'm back with a new post! If you're a vegetarian or vegan (or you'd want to be), I hope this post gives you an insight into what I eat on a daily basis. Maybe it gives you a spark for a recipe idea or maybe it persuades you to eat vegan more often, whatever it is, I hope it's somewhat helpful for you!



So to start off, I'm not completely vegan... yet. Not yet. But honestly, I'm practically vegan. Okay this is getting confusing. Let me explain.
I stopped eating meat or fish several months ago, which means I'm completely vegetarian now. Other than that, I practically don't eat any dairy products anyways because I'm lactose-intolerant. I also don't really like eggs. As in cooked eggs, like an omelette or a hardboiled egg or something.

That being said, you'd think I was vegan. Well, I do sometimes "cheat" I guess. For example, I do have cheese, a piece of chocolate or cake once in a while (I can tolerate that level of lactose). I do still eat honey. If I'm out with friends or if I'm at someone's house, it does happen that I have something with milk or eggs in it. I still find it hard to have to be that one person that wants something vegan. I just don't want anyone else to go through trouble because of me. But I think that's fine, I'm still learning and I've already changed many of my eating habits.
If you’re wondering why I decided to stop eating animal products, I might do a full post on that in the future!

Let's get to the actual topic now, shall we? This is what I ate this past week. When we have more time during the weekends, we tend to cook something that takes a bit more time to make, but on weekdays, we like making quick and easy meals just because … you know, there are only so many hours in a day haha. If I had more time to cook, I definitely would though! 
(Also, I'm sorry for the bad photo quality! I took all the pictures with my phone instead of my camera.)

Okay, if you’ve read up to this point and are still interested: here's what I ate for dinner this week! :)


Saturday


On Saturday, I had a combo of mashed potatoes and stewed vegetables. Courgette (zucchini), carrots, cherry tomatoes and bell peppers (all the good stuff, really). Oh and I sprinkled some pumpkin seeds on top because I looove the flavour and they are a great addition (packed with nutrients and antioxidants!) if you don't eat meat.


Sunday


My dad made me a lentil stew while he and my brother had a steak hehe. I also had Brussels sprouts and potatoes to go with the stew.


Monday


Monday was left-over day! We ate the rest of the lentil stew and added a few chunks of Quorn, which is a vegetarian meat replacement that has a similar texture to chicken. If I remember correctly, it’s not vegan since it contains some form of eggs as a binder.
I usually don’t really eat any meat replacers, because there is quite a lot of controversy around them. They don’t tend to be that healthy, but I want to do some more research on them. Let’s just say it’s an item on my to do-list! :)

And yes, you spotted the pumpkin seeds again haha. I guess it’s fair to say that I’m a bit obsessed!


Tuesday


On Tuesday, I had romano beans (the flat version of green beans) with a cranberry compote and pommes duchesse. These last things are basically mashed potatoes piped in a pretty shape and baked in the oven until golden brown! AND they taste a-mazing!


Wednesday


We had Chinese take-away on Wednesday because both my dad and I got home quite late. I had nasi goreng (fried rice) with mixed veggies and vegetarian spring rolls. Oh and I can’t have Chinese food without my sweet ‘n sour sauce!


Thursday


On Thursday, I had a classic spaghetti Bolognese, obviously without the minced meat! We used whole wheat spelt spaghetti and added carrots, tomatoes and corn to the sauce.
I also had a piece of bread on the side and I couldn't resist to sprinkle some grated cheese on the top. I do try to get lactose-free vegan cheese from a brand called ‘Dilea’, but they don’t sell it everywhere which is a pity honestly (since it tastes just as good as regular cheese)!


Friday


I don’t know about you, but Friday is cheat day at my house. We always have fries on Friday and it’s a tradition I’m not willing to break! This time, I went for a veggie burger and added some sauces to make it even better and even less healthy hehe.



That’s it! I’ve still got quite a long way to go, but I feel like I’ve improved so much over the past few months. Yes, I do still have cheat days and eat junk food but I’m in the transitioning phase, you know? Baby steps are the way to go! :)



Hope you had a great weekend,

2 comments: