Get in touch!

19 Mar 2017

DIY WHIPPED BODY BUTTER

Time for another DIY! This is definitely one of my favourites! It's a super lush, moisturizing body butter - made from only natural ingredients. Want to learn how you can easily make your own? Keep reading!



I use this body butter as a moisturizer for my body in general - obviously - but also for my face. My skin type is quite dry and it's prone to eczema. I've suffered from mild eczema for about 7 years now. It started around my eyes and has since then expanded to my neck, shoulders and arms. Luckily, I don't get it around my eyes anymore. I've tried sooo many different moisturizers and creams but they all didn't seem to help anymore. So I decided to stop using them. I found tons and tons of do-it-yourself recipes online and, intrigued as I was, I tried one out. And straight away, I loved it! Obviously, it didn't 'cure' my eczema, but it keeps it under control, which is the main thing!

I especially like this recipe, since it's made of only natural oils and butters: no parabens, no preservatives, no colourants, no artificial scents - no nothing! Super simple, natural, fluffy, lovely, almost zero waste (all bought in bulk - except for the cacao butter, which is in biodegradable packaging, and the almond oil), vegan: it's fits all criteria! ;)


You'll need these 4 ingredients:

  • Shea butter - softening and nourishing for dry skin, reduces inflammation and stimulates collagen production
  • Cacao (raw cocoa) butter - deep moisturizing for skin, heals irritations and prevents sun damage (especially damage from free radicals)
  • Coconut oil - protects skin from infections and is very hydrating
  • Sweet almond oil - irradicates inflammation, irritation and rashes, soothes itchiness and lightens dark complexions
  • (Optional) essential oil




How to:
Put 2 tablespoons of cacao butter, 6 tablespoons of sweet almond oil, 3 tablespoons of coconut oil and 3 tablespoons of shea butter in a heat proof bowl.









Melt all the butters and oils together au bain marie. You can make a bain marie by using a sauce pan and a (heat proof) glass or metal bowl. Poor a bit of water in the sauce pan and put it on the heat until the water boils. Put the bowl on top of the pan, without the bottom of the bowl touching the water. This way, you'll melt all the butters and oils, without directly applying heat. Be sure to stir everything while it's melting.



When all the butters and oils have melted together, put the mixture in the fridge for about 50 mins up to an hour. You're going to want to check the consistency after 20 - 30 minutes. You're looking for a soft solid paste, not liquid but not completely hardened either. Soft is the keyword here. If it hasn't gotten to that point yet, put it back in the fridge. It usually takes me up to an hour for it to firm up. (You can speed up the process by putting the mixture in the freezer. It might take up to 20 - 30 mins that way.)



Once softly firmed up, you'll want to whip it until it's a fluffy body butter. Use an electric whisk or a hand whisk if you prefer that. Beat the paste for a few minutes, or until you notice that you've got a white, soft and fluffy butter.






Store the whipped body butter in an airtight container or jar. You can use this as a day cream, a night cream, a body moisturizer, a face- or hand moisturizer; the possibilities are endless. Once applied, the butter melts into a liquid and leaves your skin feeling super soft!



Let me know if you try it out!


Based on Lauren Singer's recipe:


Enjoy!

2 comments: